Investing in the Future of Bluegrass Music
What is the Foundation for Bluegrass Music?
Created in 2007, the Foundation for Bluegrass Music is a non-profit charitable organization (501c3) created to serve as an “umbrella” under which funds can be placed and disbursed to support bluegrass music-related educational, literary, artistic and historic preservation activities of public benefit.
• annual gifts
• estate plans
• memorial contributions
• one-time gifts
Donations may be designated to create or sustain a particular program or may be unrestricted. By combining your donation with the gifts of others, the legacy of bluegrass music and your contribution grows and has an even greater impact.
Some examples of programs that can grow under this umbrella:
• Bluegrass in the Schools (grants, teacher workshops, lesson plan competitions, other resources)
• Academic conferences
• Literary works and related efforts
• Public artistic presentations of an educational nature
• Historic preservation
• And other works of a charitable nature.
How is the Foundation different from other bluegrass organizations? The International Bluegrass Association (IBMA), a trade organization supporting artists and businesses engaged in the bluegrass music industry, is not organized to receive tax-deductible donations. Associated with IBMA are three charities:
- The International Bluegrass Music Museum, located in Owensboro, Kentucky, collects, displays and interprets the history of bluegrass music and houses the Bluegrass Hall of Fame.
- The Bluegrass Trust Fund offers financial assistance to bluegrass music professionals in times of emergency need.
- The Foundation for Bluegrass Music raises, manages and distributes funds to ensure the future of bluegrass music through educational, literary, artistic, historic preservation and related activities.
Here are just a few of the programs and events we have supported:
- The Folk School, a service of 88.1 KDHX, for its Bluegrass in the Schools Program of Classes, Jams, and Workshops in St. Louis MO
- The Cowan Community Action Group for the extension of its after school program “Passing the Pick and Bow” in Whitesburg, KY
- The Student bluegrass bands at Wheeling Park High School in Wheeling, WV
- The Crooked Road: Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail for The Crooked Road’s Artist Roster & School Performance Program
- Guitars in the Classroom, based in CA, for the Reviving Music with Bluegrass Traditions in Clay County Schools project in VA
- IBMA Youth Jamming Room at World of Bluegrass Week in Raleigh, NC
- Bluegrass College Band Showcases, the Foundation for Bluegrass Music Higher Education Forum, and a Bluegrass College Symposium Luncheon, all held during IBMA’s World of Bluegrass week in Raleigh, NC.
- Grants to more than 20 additional programs, as well as hundreds of live, in-school bluegrass presentations by regional and national bands reaching thousands of students, grades K-12, for more than 10 years.
CLICK HERE to Make a Donation.
All gifts – no matter the size – are acknowledged and are tax deductible as charitable donations. Consult your tax adviser for details on the benefits of charitable donations and estate planning.
Make a commitment today to “play the music forward” with a gift to the Foundation for Bluegrass Music!
The Foundation for Bluegrass Music
4206 Gallatin Pike
Nashville, TN 37216
Contact: Nancy Cardwell, Administrator
(615) 260-4807, firstname.lastname@example.org